Whether you're relocating to New Hampshire from out-of-state, moving out on your own for the first time, or simply looking for a new place to call home, you'll want to be sure to research and plan your move long before the day you need to start packing boxes.
To help you along on the process of finding and moving into your new apartment in New Hampshire, we've created a must-do list for your search:
1. List your Must-Have's
a. For most people, this includes the number of bedrooms and bathrooms you need, access to transportation or major commuter routes, and community guidelines such as if they offer pet friendly apartments.
b. Once you've identified the features you can not live without, you can start narrowing down your search.
2. List your Nice-to-Have's
a. The nice-to-have features on your list may include utilities, features such as a pool, patio or deck, or fitness center, or amenities like on-site laundry.
3. Determine Your Budget
a. According to recent figures, many experts agree that your total housing payment should be no more than 1 / 3rd of your monthly gross income. If the rest of your budget is in balance, this should allow you to cover all monthly expenses easily, and still have funds left over for saving or investing.
b. If you plan to have a roommate, be sure to take their portion of the rent and utilities, into account when factoring your budget.
4. Check out the Neighborhoods
a. Now we come to the fun part – deciding on the region and vicinity you'd like to start calling home. As much of this will be determined by proximate to your job and means of transportation, it may be best to conduct a search on Google maps to get a feel for the cities and towns in the area along the way.
b. One of the best things about New Hampshire is that each region of the state offers a very different lifestyle than the rest. We've detailed out a few of the most popular regions to help you narrow down your search:
i. Nashua NH Area Apartments
1. Named one of the Top 100 Best Places to Live in America by CNN in 2010
2. Commuter-friendly and close to the Massachusetts border
3. Area consists of a small city and quiet surrounding towns – many options for everyone!
ii. Manchester NH Apartments
1. Conveniently located 48 miles from Boston on two main highways, with access to a major airport.
2. Manchester is the largest city in New Hampshire, and home to a significant percentage of the jobs and employers in the state.
3. An influx of new restaurants, entertainment venues, sporting arenas and events, and retail shops makes Manchester a great place to call home!
iii. Lakes Region NH Apartments
1. One of the regions that New Hampshire is known for through the country is the beautiful Lakes Region, consisting of lakes, waterfront property, and more activities, areas of sightseeing, and a never-ending list of things to see and do.
iv. Concord NH Apartments
1. Concord is New Hampshire's capital city, and home to government offices, hundreds of businesses, and a thriving downtown area bustling with restaurants, shopping, and entertainment venues.
2. Concord is conveniently located on I-93, and is considered a midpoint between Boston and NH's stunning White Mountains.
v. Derry & Southern NH Apartments
1. The southern NH area, and Derry specifically, is a growing region most popular with people who are commuting to work in Massachusetts, or looking for a convenient and family-friendly suburb that's not too far from major cities.
5. Shop Online First, Then On-Site
a. Now that you have your must-have's and nice-to-have's narrowed down, and you've identified the region you're most interested in moving to, it's easy to do an online search to see what type of apartments are available.
b. Websites will now provide you with an Online Apartment Rental Application so you can start the entire process from home, and see what you qualify for. This will save you time from driving around and filling out applications on-site.
6. It's time to pack, move, and decorate your new place!
a. Congratulations on finding your new apartment rental!
b. When you're ready to move, check out our blog for great tips on decorating your apartment, storage, moving, and getting around your new neighborhood: http://www.redoakproperties.com/blog